This is not what I expected....

Monday, December 18, 2006

A Recipe Worth Repeating

I pride myself in being able to (or at least TRYING to) cram as much as I can into the time I am given. This past weekend was an example.

Friday night, Jim and I had our 3 granddaughters, ages 3,5, & 10 and our little friend who is 3 1/2 spend the night with us. Being the kindergarten teacher/grandmom that I am, I decided to make the evening into a party! AND since we had a cookie swap party to go to the next day, I would prepare for that as well. So the 4 kids, Jim and I set out to make cookies, tree ornaments for the kids and watch Christmas videos.

Deciding there was lots to be done with short attention span little ones, I decided it would be best to get the slice and bake sugar cookies and canned frosting and cook them beforehand. I could not find my rolling pin, so I had to settle for slicing those cookies up and went for the simple circles as opposed to cute littel shapes (a REAL point of frustration and disappointment for me personally, but I got over it!)

We had a really fun time - the kids were great! We made beautiful cookies with sprinkles all over the cookies, table and floor. We made tree-shaped ornaments with their picture on it and their names written with stick-on letters. Between Friday night and Saturday morning before parents came pick up kids, we watched 4 Christmas videos (Saturday morning began with the first one up at 5:30!)

Saturday afternoon I asked Jim to check his e-vite to find out how many cookies we needed to take. Along with the 2 dozen cookies, we were to take 10 copies of our RECIPE! WAIT! Recipe? I didn't know about THAT rule! We did slice and bake. We used CANNED frosting. This will never fly with these high-dollar people that I didn't even know very well....friends of Jim's!

So, being me, I just decided to be me. What else could I do 2 hours before the party? So here is the "recipe" I typed up and took with us!

*****************************************************
Grandmom’s Busy Day Christmas Cookies
By Betty Herrington


Invite 3 granddaughters and an extra 3 year old to spend the night (or whatever number you may have. If you don’t have any, borrow some!)

Purchase:
2 rolls of Nestle Toll House refrigerated Sugar Cookie Dough
1 can of Duncan Hines Whipped Fluffy white frosting
Assortment of green and red sugar sprinkles and candy sprinkles

As soon as you get home from work, bake the cookies ahead of time. Have children wash and sanitize hands and review rules of “no licking fingers, spreaders or cookies until all cookies are completed.” Assist children in frosting and decorating cookies to their own choosing. When completed, show children how to dip frosting-covered spreader into the sprinkles that have fallen on the paper towel then lick clean! Eat cookies with milk while watching favorite Christmas movies.

For added fun, make tree ornaments with foam tree cut-outs, glitter-glue, stick-on letters and picture of each child. Use red ribbon to tie on to tree.

PS – NOT recommended without the assistance of the granddad!

*****************************************************

When you don't have any other choice, you just have to be who you are!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love it! You are so creative. I missed those genes...I think Nathan and Amanda got them though so thats good.

    The girls had a great time! And enjoyed meeting a new friend. Cookies were promptly devoured and the ornaments are on the tree. Incredible how different they look from the ornaments you helped them make last year!

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And who you are is oooohhh so good.

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    quick thinking, there! I wouldn't expect any less. You being who your are is great!

    Steph and Mikayla

     

Post a Comment

<< Home