This is not what I expected....

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Amanda - "Worthy of love; precious thing"

"Fun, great sense of humor, funny, tender-hearted, creative, loyal friend, girl-friend to kindergartners, great burper, can-put-any-guy-to-shame-farter, is a party wherever is she, strength of character, knows herself and is secure in who she is, joyful morning spirit(wati - who said THAT?), conscientious student, adventurous, heart of gold, great big sis to freshman girls, amazing aunt to 3 little girls, spoiled little sis to 3 older sibs, named after and adored by her Aunt Pamela Kaye and then passed the middle name on down to niece Haley Kaye, beautiful eyes, loves to serve God, a joy and delight to her mom and dad!"

February 12, 1985 Amanda Kaye Herrington was born in Houston, Texas as the last of 4 children. She was a baby that was mutually decided on by her older sibs and parents - 1 more girl to balance & finish out the chairs around the 6-seated dining table. The words above are only the beginning of a list that describe her.

The first thing people would notice about her even as an infant were big,blue, beautiful eyes! I loved putting her in bonnets and showing her off at church, the mall and Wal-mart! She was definitely THE baby of Willow Meadows Baptist Church - loved by every little old lady, even until this day!

So today marks the first day in over 31 years that we do not having any "children" in our nueclear family.(ok, so it is a little bit about me - after all I had to carry her in my tummy for 9 months - give me a little credit!) Amanda is the last one of our children to cross over into adulthood - today she is 21 years old! By the world's standards she is officially an adult, yet I guess she will always be our "baby."

Being an early childhood educator, I always found such joy in the younger years of each of my children. I was always ready to "pass the baton" on to their dad, the former youth minister, as they crossed into adolescence. But, ya know, having adult children is so much more fun and delightful than I had ever imagined. And although our role as "parents" may never end, it is really cool to have a different relationship with our adult children. Each of them are unique and bring such different gifts and perspectives to the world they live in. Yet each are such a gift to us! I think I am gonna like getting old if it means having adult children in my life!

So, Amanda, Happy Birthday, Precious Thang! I love you and give thanks on this day to God who gave you to us - you who are so worthy of love....and give love so well!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't think so the first few years - but after getting to know her - I'm glad she's my sister!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home