This is not what I expected....

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Born 75 years ago today.....

January 22, 1931 Galina Zybina, U.S.S.R., discus thrower, 15 world records between 1952-58

January 22, 1931 Rauno Makinen, Finland, Greco-Roman featherweight 1956 Olympics
gold

January 22, 1931 Aleda Eutonna Bolinger in Danville, Arkansas to John Roscoe Bolinger and Eden Esther Earl Cherry Bolinger. Move to Transylvania, La. She was the youngest of 3 girls - had a brother who died as a young teen, who was closest in age to her, thus being somewhat of a tomboy. Married at the young age of 17 to the handsome soldier, Hubert Brasher, recently home from time served in France at the end of WWII. Lived in Lake Providence, La. for all of her life except for the last 3 1/2 years in Lufkin, TX. where she died in an automobile accident in August of 2005. Mother of one boy and one girl, 6 grandchildren and 1 great-granddaughter.

Aleda B.Brasher, the name she gave when someone asked for her whole name, will never be in record books for any claim to fame, but there were so great things about her those who knew and loved her remember. So if you will allow me, (wait! this is MY blog. I can write whatever I want without any permission!)I would like to bulletpoint some highlights of my memories of her...my mother!

* she loved pretty dishes - wait...any dishes!
* she loved being with people...she could/would talk to anyone who was within hearing range and was not able to get away from her in a socially acceptable manner.
* she was a Senior Adult Olympic race-walker gold medalist, both locally and statewide in La. and Tx. Participated in Nationals 2 times. Her family is convinced she excelled in this because the faster she talked, the faster she walked!
* she loved God with all of her heart, soul, mind and strength. Whatever she could do to serve Him, she would...volunteering at her church, loving the pastor and his family as her own (there were quite a few pastor families she adopted), going on mission trips (do the Bahamas count as mission trip or vacation?)
* she loved her grandchildren - 6 in all and knew and loved her first great-granddaughter. She never got to love the 2 younger ones!
* she loved to laugh. She was the life and usually the center of any crowd or party.
* she was curious. she loved to learn new things - needlework, furniture re-finishing, excerising, computer games and skills, travel, reading, studying the Bible - all these things in her retirement years....rarely did she have a day that was "wasted" - always living, loving, doing, being.
* I never once doubted that she loved her 2 children as equally as a parent could and was very proud of us both...I knew because she never missed a chance to tell us.
* she was in love with that soldier-boy/husband of her's up to the day she died. They dearly enjoyed each other's company, whether it was at a restaurant on a 'date', at church or at home watching "Wheel of Fortune" on TV or playing on the computer.

It has taken me 2 days to get this blog out, so now it is actually the day after Mother's birthday, but that's ok. It has given me reason to think about her more. I give thanks to God for her and feel blessed to have had her as my mom and my friend. I sure do miss her...

Yesterday, I went to see Daddy at the assisted living place where he lives. Being 80 years old and having major dementia issues (Altzheimer's), I never know what he remembers. I asked him if he knew what the dated was. He didn't so I said January 22. I asked if he knew what that date was and then whose birthday it was. He paused and answered questioningly, "Mamaw's?" I said yes. We sat quitely a few seconds and then said, "I sure do miss her." He just nodded and said "yep." We sat in silence and then he dozed into one of his many mini-naps he takes. I think I was hoping for more of a response, but at least he remembered her.....

Happy 75th birthday, Momma. Hope you got to dance with Jesus on your birthday! I am sure you have talked to every person in Heaven by now and have made it yourself at home...be sure to set me a place at His table...

8 Comments:

  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss her, too.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops....I'm anonymous...haha.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I loved her the minute I met her on a Wed. Night when they 1st came to Lufkin's First Bapt. Church. Our friendship connection grew stronger the longer I knew her. The sunshine of God's Love just oozzed out all over her.
    Joy

     
  • At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You aren't suppose to make me cry first thing in the morning. I miss her daily. I am so sad that she never knew Abby or Madison. She was an incredible woman and I smile (and laugh a little) when I see so many qualities of her in you.

     
  • At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeaahhh! She was all that and the mother-in-law a man could hope to have. And all the best of her lives on in her daugther.

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger mrjoshua said…

    i love you. it must be fun knowing how much you are like her. for your sake, i'm sorry she is gone. for her sake, i'm glad she's dancing....

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so thankful that she was my mother-in-love, as she always said. I couldn't have loved her more if she had been my own Mother. Thanks for sharing her with me. I miss her daily but I also miss her when something happens with my boys. I know she would be so proud of all her grandchildren and great grandgirls as she was her own children. She was what I would like to be in a Mother, wife and mother-in-law. Thanks again for sharing your memories with us.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Everytime you talk about your mom, I think why didn't I get a chance to get to know her better??? And, I know I met her once--why wasn't I paying better attention? I sure would have liked to spend some one-on-one time with her. Instead, I will gladly listen to all of your stories about her. Do you know that I never go for a power walk without thinking about her. If I'm slacking off, I picture her walking so fast and leaving me in the dust! Love you Betty.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home