This is not what I expected....

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Art of Asking Questions

Today, Amanda left to return to school in northern part of Texas. It has been such a short time, but I always enjoy having her home. She is a fun person! I admire the fact that she likes to stay busy - not a very good "loafer." She did lots of babysitting while home and made $$ and brownie points! She is so good with little ones!

Before leaving town, she stopped at my school. She has not been to my class this year, so they didn't even know who she was. After receiving comments and giggles, I asked the kids if they would like to ASK Amanda something. Of course, they began to TELL her things instead. Here is how I re-directed to practice the "art of asking:"
Ashja: For Christmas, I got.....
Me: Wait - remember, I said ASK a question.
Ashja: What did I get for Christmas?
Amanda: I don't know - what DID you get?

Of course, Amanda and I cracked up laughing. She got the form, but missed the whole concept.

Alexis: Do you have any mittens? (we had read "Three Little Kittens" today)
Amanda: No, but I could sure use some.
Alexis: I will buy you some.

Kindergartners have some much to learn...and so much to give. What a blessing they can be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home