This is not what I expected....

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

An All-Star Day!

Friday the K-2nd grade classes from my school had a once-in-a-lifetime experience! We were invited to attend a "Read to Achieve" rally as a part of the NBA Jam Session (for those as unaware as I, it was a part of the NBA All-Stars events here in Houston). To say the least it was a very exciting day for my kindergartners! They gave us each a "Read to Achieve" t-shirt that had to be put on AS WE WALKED down the corridor of the George R. Brown Convention Center - they had to be wearing them BEFORE we passed through the curtains to enter the rally area. (Try taking OFF jackets, putting on "one-size-fits some" shirts and then jackets back on while 15 kindergartners and 3 adults stay on the move, leaving none behind or adding to your group from others trying to do the same!)

Some of the highlights of the day were:

* BowWow and Ciera both there and spoke but didn't sing (yes, they are very famous hip-hop/rap singers)

* B-5 (or was it B-6? I know it wasn't B-12!)Another group that DID sing! Every child in the building was on his feet singing and clapping and dancing! When I noticed my quiet Kendale singing his heart out, I mentioned to him that I was impressed that he knew all the words. Very proudly, but trying to be casual, he replied, "This is one of their OLD ones!"

* We had about 2 hours to roam around the exhibit area where there were games to play, exhibits to see and free goodies to collect.

When it was time to meet back up with the other classes from our school, we headed out the first door and were ushered "cattle-herding style" up two flights of escalators where we met our group and then came back down the two flights of escalators. Being the "teachable moment teacher" that I am (or at least try to be) we had a conversation about the beginning sound of escalator and reminded the students that we had talked about escalators when we were on letter e. (hold that thought...)

As we are "herded" out of the convention center at 1:00 we were handed sack lunches (compliments of the NBA Jam Session) which we ate on the bus enroute home. I began asking the kids what they liked about the day. Their responses included: BowWow, Ciera, B-6 (or B-7), the goodie bags, the NASA exhibit (really cool!). When I turned to Deon sitting right next to me, he replied, "The escalators!" I LOVED it! Just think - we don't have to wait for the next all-star game to come to Houston - we can just go to the Galleria for a free ride up and down escalators! (Personally, I was pretty impressed with the dancing of B-7 (or B-8?)!

None the less, it was an all-star day for my little ghetto darlings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home