This is not what I expected....

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Why are the simplest things so hard?

Why is it that the simplest things seem so hard? You would think one who is simple-minded (like myself) would be one who would be able to choose to change how one thinks about things rather simply. But from personal experience, it ain't so!

But today, once again, I am choosing to do just that. Some very simple but profound thoughts were presented to me last night in a Bible study. This is the basics of what I heard:
We are pilgrims on a journey....those before us had a long road to walk and had a LONG time to have to do just that. But we live in a time where the road is long, but our time is not so long. Time passes quickly so Paul tells us in the Bible that we need to "run the race" that is before us. Our time is short. We need to do whatever it is we need to do to make the best of this time.

When I was a young mom in college, I thought that time was DRAGGING by so slowly. Will my kids ever learn to walk? Be potty-trained? Ever start to school? Ever get out of school? Ever leave home?

That seems as only yesterday...I NEVER thought I would think or feel that way. That is what old people say about their past. But it is true - sometimes I long for a chance to have my little children back and get a second chance for a do-over. But that opportunity is gone and I need to keep on moving...

So what does that have to do with today? My current circumstances are for only a short time - I can choose to begrudgingly drag through them or I can make the best of them and learn the most from them. I can choose to face my challenges or I can let them decide what my days look and feel like.

I only have 8 short months left to love and teach my 16 kindergarten and first graders in my tiny little room. There definitely needs to be more singing, more laughing, more hugging, more praying...'cause I don't like feeling how I have been feeling at the end of the day! And that is ONE thing I can be in control of (I refuse to give up THAT part of my control issues! There are some things that I need to be in control of.) I can rest assured that God has great things in store for me and I am going to choose to look for those things and live into them! Life is too short to do otherwise.

It is 7:30 in the morning. I am sitting at my desk at school and can hear the chaos beginning outside my window. God, I pray that your peace would be the over-riding Spirit on this campus today. I pray your joy and love would ooze out of me like sweat on a hot summer day. I pray it would spill out on those around me and I would not even be aware of how YOU are at work in my life in spite of me! So, here I go....out into the jungle of wild animals ages 5-15. "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me" and "without Him I can do nothing!"

1 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are my hero! Thanks for being a person who doesn't just hear the Word but who does it as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home