This is not what I expected....

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

This is NOT how I played muscial chairs growing up!

I have never worked in a place quite like where I am now. I sometimes wonder if this is really what the "real world" is like and I just haven't experienced it or if this is so out of the realm of reality that I am in another universe all together.

Brief history:
1st week of school - 7 kindergartners - heaven on earth!

2nd week - 1st grade has 24 students so I agree to an K/1st split - K - 7 + 1st - 6 = 13 total, teaching 2 different curriculums in a room half the size (literally!)I have had for the past 12 years.

3rd, 4th, 5th weeks - each week adding new students to where I am up to total of 17 kids (K-9, 1st-8). Going insane, feeling like a failure as a teacher.

6th week - bilingual class has a K/1st split as well, so after 2 1/2 weeks of asking, we get to consolidate - I get all kinder totalling 13(YEAH!) - 9 Enlish speakers, 4 Spanish speakers (I am ESL certified and have been for about 10 years - not a BIG deal). Bilingual teacher gets my 8 English-speaking + her 3 Spanish speakers making 11. Works for US just great!!!! Got everything going great. Getting into the swing of things for a whole week!!!

THEN.....exactly a week after the 2nd big switch, get are told we can't do away with bilingual classes (among reasons, I am sure the biggest is MONEY!)
We are told today that the teacher who is our new in-school suspension teacher (for those who should be suspended but need to not be missing school) is going to be doing 1st grade instead, and the bilingual teacher will go back to her original 7 kids! The good news in the midst of all the constant chaos is that I will be down to only 9 kindergartners. The other good news will be that the 1st grade teacher who started out with 24 and has now been down to 19, will probably have 3 more leave her class to go to the NEW 1st grade class of 8, giving that class 11. That all sounds like a pretty good end result, but here we are into our 7th week of school and still shifting students around...some of the 1st graders (5, I think) will have had 4 different teachers in 7 weeks...that just ain't right! (I know "ain't" ain't a word!)

Well, that is it for today and that may very well change tomorrow!
Coming into a different classroom this year for ONLY this year because of our new building coming up, this is definitely NOT what I expected!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know it has been stressful for you! I imagine it has been hard on the kids too (making it then even harder on you). As a parent, I'd be FURIOUS with all the switching around.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home