This is not what I expected....

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Some days I laugh, some days I cry, some days I do both!

Some excerpts from the last few weeks:

2nd grader Joshua who I taught in kindergarten is walking down the sidewalk.
Me: Joshua, how are things going in 2nd grade?
J: Ok.
Me: Glad to hear that.
J: Yea, I can't believe I am growing up pretty fast!
Me: I can't believe it either!

Jeremy is my textbook case for what a REAL ADHD student looks like. In order to not lose him in transition from one place to the other, I usually hold his hand. He really doesn't seem to mind. He likes the attention. One day we are waiting for his older brother to pick him up after school and we are holding hands. He holds up our clasped hands and says " This one is done."
Me: What do you mean "this one is done?"
J: You can hold the other hand now, this one is done!
Well, I still not sure what "done" means to him, but we switched and he was happy once again! Maybe I am training him one hand at a time how to behave? Who knows!

One day in the cafeteria, I notice a group 3rd graders who are standing at their table playing around. Not really causing problems, but not eating their lunch. I casually walk over and light-heartedly inform:
ME: Guess what? This is your lucky day! You get to have stools to SIT on instead of having to STAND during the whole lunch period! (trying to be funny and get the end result I wanted and it worked!)
As they sat down, Robert says: I remember being in your class, Mrs. Herrington. It was FUN!
Me:I liked having you in my class, Robert.
Another student, Travonte:I was one of your best students, wasn't I?
Me: Travonte, you weren't IN my class.
Travonte: Yea, I know, but if I WOULD have been, I would have been one of your best students, right?
Me( trying let him have is 15 seconds of feeling good about himself):I am sure you would have been!

Today I wore my black and white low-top basketball-looking shoes. Two first graders noticed in admiration.
Jasiha: Hey! I like your shoes, Mrs. Herrington
Marese: Hey, you got on shoes!!!!
I am not sure if he thought maybe I didn't normally WEAR shoes! But it made ME feel good!

I like to remember these sort of "happy places" in my life (for you, LJ) because invariably I have moments like today.
Jeremy, the one mentioned above, came to school with a bruise across his left cheek. When I asked him about it, he said his daddy did it. When I asked why his dad had hit him, he said because he wouldn't turn over for his "whooping." When I asked why he was getting a "whooping" he said because he was bad at school and was on "yellow" (Poor behavior - just before U-unsatisfactory). I cried at the thought that I had been instrumental in his bruised little face. I then asked where and how his dad had "whooped" him. He said with a belt on his bottom and his legs. I looked at the back of his legs and saw bruising there as well. As I write this again tears flow for precious child who has been to the dr. but doesn't have medication yet to help him. I cry because at least 3 times a day he will ask if I still love him and it breaks my heart to wonder if he has to ask that of his parents. For the rest of the day I lavished love and prayers on him like I never have.

God, give me the patience and love to deal with Jeremy each minute of the day that he requires re-directing. I KNOW I can handle his behavior issues easier than he or I can handle the beatings.

PS - I immediately took him to the office where they talked with him, took pictures and called to report the incident to CPS.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger mrjoshua said…

    wow.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I cried with you, girlfriend! Thank God he has YOU for a teacher, someone who will love him and help him and show him a better way. He will remember you all his life. Good teachers stick with us. I love you and am praying for you, daily, now!

    Love,
    Lou

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    broken heart, too. love you, steph wulf

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Rodney said…

    That's terrible Betty. I'm with Lou though, that kid's lucky to have you as a teacher. Kids are often ripped-off when life hands them a terrible home life and effectively tells them who they are (someone that is a burden, and someone unworthy of love). Although they get ripped-off, I believe it breaks God's heart, and He sends teachers to be the hands and feet of Christ to them - to speak a new message into their life. I know there is only so much a teacher can do, but I hope that collectively there are enough people touching the kids life to paint a new picture for him. Keep up the good work!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home