This is not what I expected....

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Out of the mouths of babes...

Today, our last day of school for 2005, I was watching my kindergartners as they decorated the envelopes for their tree ornaments with their photo, my traditional gift for them to give. I always liked getting ornaments from my own children, especially with a picture on it! I still have some of them.

Just in the first semester I am seeing changes in them already. I was looking at the happy and contented smile on Maylin's face in particular. Maylin experienced what I would call a severe case of separation anxiety. Her mother was in our room everyday for the first 10 weeks because Maylin would cry without her. The mom was fearful that, because she has only one lung, if she cried too much, she wouldn't get enough oxygen and would get sick. It may be true....or not, but I know she is pretty spoiled. However, she happily comes to school and tries her best even though she still doesn't know any of her ABC's or very few colors!

I was recalling the first time she pitched a fit when her mother tried to leave her. As she cried and cried, LaDarius eased up to me and said rather softly, "I don't think she knows what a great day we're gonna have!" Well, after a whole semester, Maylin has finally discovered what great days we can have and has learned to embrace her new adventure. I have been reminded of how encouraging and motivating a young child can be....I love that LaDarius....he won a place in my heart right off the bat!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home